RSS

Classic Macaroni Salad

My oldest daughter and I love, love, love the macaroni salad you can buy at the local grocery store deli.  Unfortunately now that I am vegan we haven't been able to buy it.  (I can't buy it for my family and watch them eat it - that would be torture!)  So, I have found a way to make it vegan at home!  I have to  admit, however, it is not very good for you, but sometimes you have to treat yourself! 



Classic Macaroni Salad
makes about 5 servings

2 cups uncooked ditalini pasta
1/2 cup vegenaise
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1/3 cup cane sugar
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, seeded and chopped (color of your choosing)
1 Tbsp. chopped pimento peppers

Cook pasta according to package directions.  (I don't salt my water to cut down on sodium.)  Cook until it's al dente.  Drain and rinse under cold water.  In a large bowl, mix together the vegenaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper.  Stir in the onion, celery, bell pepper, pimentos and macaroni.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving, or preferable overnight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment