RSS

Cashew Sour Cream


I am trying to make more things from scratch to make myself and my family a little healthier.  Buying processed food from the grocery store often has ingredients I don't want in my food.  A lot of the time I don't even know what the ingredients are.  Sour cream seems to be one of those "staples" used in a lot of recipes, as is cream cheese.  It is hard for me to find cream cheese without hydrogenated fat in it - which I am trying to completely avoid.  So, I have found a good way to make my own at home.  This may be a little bit of a trial and error for you to get the flavor you are looking for but I am in love.  For the sour cream I might add an extra teaspoon of water to help it blend a little easier.  One of my favorite things to make with this recipe is a ranch dip which I plan to post a recipe in the future. 
 
 
I use this recipe for cream cheese also.  I just make sure I refrigerate it at least over night so it gets nice and think.  It might not be quite as firm as store bought cream cheese, but I've used it in many recipes and so far so good.  Go easy on the water you blend with the cashews to keep the mixture nice and thick.

Cashew Sour Cream 
Prep time:  2-3 hours or overnight
Makes:  approx. 1 cup

Ingredients:
1 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp lemon juice

Directions:
Cover cashews with water; soak 2-3 hours or overnight. 

Pour off water; place nuts in a blender.  Add the rest of ingredients and puree for at least 3-4 minutes, longer if needed.  Be sure to scrape the sides a few times.  The mixture should end up nice and creamy, looking just like sour cream.  If you are having troubles with it wanting to mix, add a teaspoon of water to help things along.

0 comments:

Post a Comment