RSS

Vegan Panda Express Chow Mein


We like to go out to dinner now and then as a family - who doesn't it?  Eating out at a restaurant in Idaho that caters to a plant based diet however isn't the easiest thing.  One of the big restaurants in our area is Panda Express.  My whole family loves it.  However they don't have vegetarian/vegan options.  So while my family eats there now and then - I end up having to get something to eat from somewhere else.  My family loves Chinese/Thai food - so I am always trying to come up with new recipes for us to try.  So I've created a vegan friendly Panda Express "style" chow mein.  Now I can enjoy a little "Panda Express" at home with my family AND - my whole family gobbles it up.  We eat it as a main dish - but you could use it as a side if you'd like.  It is so easy and fast to make too!

I use a well seasoned cast iron skillet for this recipe.  I try to cut out oil when I saute veggies to be a little healthier.  I often don't need the oil and if things start to stick a little I add a little water which works just as great as oil in my opinion. But, feel free to use a little oil to saute the veggies if you feel you need to.

 
Vegan Panda Express Chow Mein
Makes 6-8 servings (depending whether it is a side or main dish)

Ingredients
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
ground black pepper, to taste
1(17.76 oz) package refrigerated Yaki Soba noodles (found in the produce section of the grocery store)
1 cup chopped celery (chopped diagonally)
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
2-3 cups chopped cabbage


Directions
In a small bowl combine soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and black pepper. Set aside.

Remove Yaki Soba from package and discard included flavoring packets. Rinse noodles well, drain, and set aside.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add celery and onion and saute for about 1-2 minutes or until onions start to become soft and transparent. Add cabbage and saute an additional minute or so.

Toss Yaki Soba noodles and soy sauce mixture with the vegetables over medium-high heat for an additional 2-3 minutes or until noodles are heated through.

 


0 comments:

Post a Comment