RSS

Vegan Zuppa Toscana


When I used to go to Olive Garden I would love to order the soup, salad, and bread sticks deal!  All of them were so delicious, I felt like I was getting the best of everything.  PLUS it was unlimited so I could pig out.  (It was so hard not too!)  Of course none of those things are vegan (except for one of the soups) unless you arrange it with your waiter/waitress.  One of my favorite soups I'd order is Zuppa Toscana.  SO NOT VEGAN!!  But it was so delicious.  So...one cool, rainy day I decided I NEEDED this soup and I would "veganize" it.

It has been a while since I've had the original now, but I think this recipe is pretty close.  This version is so yummy, it is by far my favorite soup!  We had it for dinner last night, and everyone went back for seconds (even my picky eater)!  It is a good way to incorporate all the kale from my garden too - which by the way is super good for you!  I don't usually eat soy, but we indulge with this soup, because it just adds so much to the flavor and texture.  You could probably substitute beans if you wanted but it just won't be the same. 



Vegan  Zuppa Toscana
Makes 6-8 servings

Ingredients

14 oz. pkg. Gimme Lean Sausage
¾ tsp crushed red peppers
1 cup diced white onion
2 tsp minced garlic
8 cups water
3 Tbsp No Chicken Bouillon
¼ tsp liquid smoke
1 cup coconut milk (or 1 can to make it extra creamy)
3 medium sized potatoes, thinly sliced
5 Kale leaves (approx 4-5 cups), chopped with stems removed

Directions

Saute sausage, crushed red pepper, onions and garlic until sausage is heated through and onions are soft.

Add the water, No Chicken Bouillon  and liquid smoke.  Cook until boiling and then turn heat down to low and let it simmer.  Add potatoes and cook until soft (approx. 15 minutes depending on how thin potatoes are sliced). 

Add coconut milk and kale and cook until thoroughly heated. 
 

1 comments:

LibbyLou said...

Yummy! This is going to be perfect for the cold weather that is going to arrive all too quickly!

Post a Comment