RSS

Zucchini Bread



Riddle:  What do you do when you have zucchini coming out of your ears?  (Not literally of course!)

Answer:  You make zucchini bread!

I am a sucker for all breads myself, but zucchini bread is like the dessert version. I am also a big fan of banana bread.  When I have a lot of zucchini coming out of my garden I tend to make a bunch of bread and muffins with it.  It makes a healthier snack or a yummy breakfast.  This zucchini bread recipe has a lot of healthy ingredients, except for the sugar.  Maybe someday I will figure out a good substitute for that.  I do like to use organic cane sugar though, so I like to tell myself that isn't so bad.  Also this recipe will make 2 loaves (or I believe 6 mini loaves), so you can eat one now and freeze the rest for later!  YAY!

FYI my neighbor gave me a big shopping bag full of crook neck sqash the other day and I ended up using it in place of zucchini.  I made her a loaf as a thank you and she asked if I'd make her 5 more for her to freeze and give out as christmas gifts!  So something to think about if you have a lot of squash in your garden!

Zucchini Bread
Cook time:  1 hour
Makes:  2 loaves

Ingredients
 
3 Tbsp ground flax seed
½ cup plus 1 Tbsp water
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
¾ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp baking powder
2 cups sugar
1 cup applesauce
2 Tbsp vanilla
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
½ cup raisins (optional)

Directions
Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.
Whisk the flax seed and water together in a small bowl and set aside.
Drain the pineapple.

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Beat the sugar, applesauce, vanilla, and flax mixture until blended and thick.
Stir in pineapple and zucchini.  Stir in dry ingredients.  Stir in nuts and raisins if using.

Pour into loaf pans and cook for 1 hour.  Test with a toothpick to check if it is done cooking.



 

0 comments:

Post a Comment